What are lubricants/why lubricants are used/Role of Lubricants?
- Lubricants are manufactured or formulated from a special key components called as additives which enhances the lubricants in a wide range of application and different operational activities.
- The basic and most important role of lubricants is to reduce friction in machine equipment and engines.
- Lubricants help in reduction of friction which protects critical components, lowers the maintenance costs, increase in life of machine components.
Reduction in Friction = Increase in life of Machine or Engine Components.
What do you mean by hydro-cracked base oils?
- Hydro cracking is a refining process that uses catalyst and hydrogen at high pressure to make high-quality lubricant base oils. Hydro cracking is used to improve VI (Viscosity Index) and remove impurities and thereby improving on the performance characteristics of lubricants.
What do Group I, II, and III mean, and why Group II +and Group III are being used?
- Groups I, II, and III are broad categories of base stocks developed by the American Petroleum Institute for the purpose of creating guidelines for licensing engine oils. Typically, solvent-refined base oils fall into Group I, while hydro-processed base stocks fall into Group II. Unconventional Base Oils (UCBOs) or Very-High VI stocks are normally categorized as Group III.
- Group II+, though not an official API designation is a term used increasingly to describe Group II stocks of higher VI (110-119) and lower volatility than typical group II stocks.
- Group I oils contain high levels of sulfur and aromatics, which are compounds that can diminish performance. Group II & III oils have lower levels of these impurities, which result in enhanced oxidation performance for fully-formulated lubricants.
Choosing a lubricant from a vast range?
- Lubricants are the lifeline for the engine/machine components. If the wrong lubricant is opted, the engine is at risk of increased wear and corrosion.
- People thinks oil is oil and can be used in place of others. But actually it is wrong. Different types of lubricants were available for different types of machine/engine components.
How to select right Viscosity of oil?
- The viscosity of the oil for any application depends on the speed, load, and the clearance between moving parts, type of lubrication and finally the ambient temperatures. Oil must provide protection over a wide range of temperatures from cold starts to long hauls.
What are the possible reasons for an oil pressure drop?
- The oil pressure may drop because the oil has thinned down considerably, due to fuel dilution. It could also be because of insufficient oil in the system, either because of an oil leakage or excessive oil consumption or even possible oil pump failure, causing the oil to not circulate.
What are the possible reasons for excessive oil consumption?
- External oil leakages from areas like tappet cover, oil filter bowl, timing cover oil seal, rear main oil seal (flywheel side) or at some other point in the oil circulation system.
- Thinning of the oil due to fuel dilution.
- Excessive clearances between the piston and the cylinder can cause high oil consumption, as a little oil gets thrown into the combustion chamber during the process of combustion when the piston moves up and down, resulting in it also being burnt.
What is Viscosity of Oil?
- Viscosity of oil is a relative thickness that determines the flowing capacity of the oil.
What is Flash Point of Oil?
- Flash Point of oil is the temperature at which the oil starts generating enough vapors to ignite the oil in presence of an external source.
The colour of the oil has changed within short duration of putting it in application. Should I throw away the oil as the quality does not seem to be OK?
- NO. There are few additives incorporated in few types of oils that change the colour due to change in the surface chemistry immediately on coming in contact with rotating surfaces. This change in color is within the known behaviour of the oil and does not affect the performance of the oil adversely. Due to the detergency property of the oil, engine oils turns dark on usage. Despite of change in color, oils can be used till its intended life.
How to deal with used oils?
- There are various government norm which deals with used oils. One cannot throw used oil anywhere in the environment but can contact any of oil disposing centre developed by the government for proper disposing.
- Used oil contains very harmful particles which can cause damage to the environment.